[SciPy-User] scipy.optimize leastsq with numpy longdouble?

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 12:49:41 EST 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 12:25 PM, Joan Smith <joans at mit.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
> What do you mean where is the data coming from? It's from an experiment..
> function I'm fitting is:
> maxwell_boltzmann = lambda v,x:
> v[0]*(x-C0)**(-4)*np.exp(-(L/v[1])**2*(x-C0)**(-2)) + v[2]
> and the data is in an array of longdoubles.

I don't know if any of the optimization routines can handle
long-double, maybe one of the pure python optimizers is less picky
about the type.

some guesses:
Maybe taking exp(log(...)) of the first part increases the numerical
precision of the calculation enough to get results, or maybe a two
step method with v[2] estimated in an outer optimization and log in
the inner loop.

(statsmodels doesn't have anything that would help, as far as I can see)

Josef