[SciPy-User] Wave files / PCM question

Dan Goodman dg.gmane at thesamovar.net
Mon Nov 8 08:41:14 EST 2010

Thanks Nic and David,

Right, so it seems the consensus is that you shouldn't use the 0 or
-2**15 value. This means that in fact it's the unsigned byte that is
wrong in some sense, and should probably have been a signed byte (I
guess they chose not to do that because it's an unusual type). I can see
the validity of wanting to have 0 explicitly represented (for silence).

Incidentally, I don't mind which way it's represented, the inefficiency
of not using one of the values doesn't bother me, it just struck me as
the sort of thing that would have bothered the people designing these
systems in the first place! :) All I mind about is knowing for sure that
this is the representation the computer really uses. Your arguments
almost 100% convince me, but just to satisfy myself, does anyone have a
definitive reference that when you pass a stream of 8/16 bit samples to
the sound card (via the OS), that it is interpreted in this way?
Incidentally - what happens if you do use 0 or -2**15? Will it
correspond to something slightly less than -1?

David - I'll see if I can find that reference. We might have a copy of
it in my lab as it's an auditory psychophysics lab. You'd think someone
there would know the answer to my question, but they all just pass an
array of floats to Matlab and let it work out the details!

Dan