[SciPy-User] numpy core failure

David david at silveregg.co.jp
Mon Nov 1 21:12:30 EDT 2010

On 11/02/2010 05:47 AM, John wrote:
> Folks, solved it partially. On the machine I compiled numpy with, we
> had softlinked g77 to another compiler. Numpy used this, but of course
> it's libraries were only available on the one machine. That solves the
> libaf90math.so problem.
>
> However, on the 9.10 machines I'm still getting this error:
> ImportError: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required
> by /x64/site-packages/numpy/core/multiarray.so)

It means that you are depending on some symbols from the libc which are
not available on your machine. If you need to use the same binary on
multiple machines with different versions, you need to build it on the
oldest machine you have so that you don't depend on features only
available in some subsets of your configurations.

Note however that this is mostly hopeless - ABI compatibility is very
hard to obtain with python extensions, especially on Linux.

cheers,

David