[SciPy-User] HDF4, HDF5, netcdf solutions -- PyNIO/PyNGL or CDAT or ??

Dav Clark dav at alum.mit.edu
Mon Nov 1 16:01:11 EDT 2010

On Nov 1, 2010, at 5:14 AM, Zachary Pincus wrote:

> Where pytables tries to present its own interface, h5py just gives you
> the hdf5 file. This means that pytables can do a lot of neat things
> (like the indexed searching), but it also means that (at least last I
> checked) pytables isn't the best tool for reading in hdf5 files not
> created by pytables -- for that, you'd want h5py.

Every time I've had an issue with pytables reading a non-pytables created file, I've submitted a bug and it got fixed usually in a few days. At the time, I was using HDF5 as a transfer layer between matlab's rudimentary hdf5 support and python w/ pytables. (Thanks Francesc!)

PyTables will automatically add it's own metadata, which is something h5py won't do - if you care.

Best,
Dav