[SciPy-User] How to estimate error in polynomial coefficients from scipy.polyfit?

David Goldsmith d.l.goldsmith at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 23:40:46 EDT 2010

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Jeremy Conlin <jlconlin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yikes!  This sounds like it may be more trouble than it's worth.  I
> have a few sets of statistical data that each need to have curves fit
> to them.

That's an awfully generic need - it may be obvious from examination of the
data that a line is inappropriate, but besides polynomials there are many
other non-linear models (which can be linearly fit to data by means of data
transformation) which possess fewer parameters (and thus are simpler from a
parameter analysis perspective).  So, the question is: why are you fitting
to polynomials?  If it's just to get a good fit to the data, you might be
getting "more fit" than your data warrants (and even if that isn't a
problem, you probably want to use a polynomial form different from "standard
form," e.g., Lagrange interpolators).  Are you sure something like an
exponential growth/decay or power law model (both of which are "more
natural," linearizable, two-parameter models) wouldn't be more appropriate -
it would almost certainly be simpler to analyze (and perhaps easier to
justify to a referee).

On this note, perhaps some of our experts might care to comment: what
"physics" (in a generalized sense) gives rise to a polynomial dependency of
degree higher than two?  The only generic thing I can think of is something
where third or higher order derivatives proportional to the independent
variable are important, and those are pretty uncommon.

DG