[SciPy-User] Signal to noise ratio

Ivo Maljevic ivo.maljevic at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 14:20:20 EST 2010

Arieal,
I just did a quick search and found the same thing I told you on Matlab site
(i.e., narrowband filter):

http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/toolbox/signal/f4-1046.html

While it may be interesting to play with cuttoff frequencies and filter
order, it is quite useless from a practical point of view. To use a tool,
you need to understand what it does and what are its limitations. What you
are trying to do with the filter is almost the same as if you are trying to
find the mean value of the signal (hence the almost flat line). You
definitely do not need butterworth filter for that, just find the mean value
of the signal for such type of operation.

As for your order question, it basically determines how many past samples
are you using in the filtering operation. Maybe you can read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_filter#Difference_equation

Cheers,
Ivo