[SciPy-User] Google Summer of Code...

Skipper Seabold jsseabold at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 17:59:46 EST 2010

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 5:43 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 16:35,  <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 5:15 PM, Christopher Barker
>> <Chris.Barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> Are we going to try to get some sciPy project in GSoC under the Python
>>> umbrella this year? Or might it be worth applying to be a mentoring
>>> organization?
>>>
>>> Has anyone started thinking about it?
>>
>> I sure hope we do, and one project is stats.
>>
>> Who is organizing gsoc for scipy/numpy?
>
> You, apparently. Congratulations!
>
> More seriously, I don't think there is going to be any organization on
> our side, per se. Like every other year, scipy-relevant projects will
> most likely be taken care of by the PSF acting as an umbrella
> organization. People willing to mentor should contact the PSF
> coordinator. By all means, use our mailing lists and Wiki to talk
> about possible projects and connect students to mentors, but it's
> mostly going to be up to the volunteer mentors to work with the PSF
> and your students to get the project proposals submitted and selected.

One thing I would suggest (I'll be able to pitch in in the next few
days) is cleaning up this with the progress made last summer (anything
from 2008?): http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/wiki/SummerOfCode

I would also encourage anyone who has ideas to edit the wiki here to
reflect the current project wishlist (especially if you're willing to
mentor): http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/wiki/SummerofCodeIdeas  IMHO,
the more ideas there are, the more chance of grabbing interested and
diverse sets of students provided people are willing to mentor.

Also, should we put a more prominent link to the first page somewhere?
 Maybe on the developer page?  I'm not even sure how to get there
except through googling.  Once this is cleaned up a bit perhaps we
should advertise a little?  Just a thought.

Skipper