[SciPy-User] matplotlib and large array

David Baddeley david_baddeley at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jun 9 19:11:18 EDT 2010

Hi Massimo,

matplotlib is pretty awful with huge images - part of the problem is that if stores a colormapped copy of the image which means that you go from a single image to R,G,B, & A channels. I have a feeling that this copy is also using a floating point datatype. In any case you're multiplying your memory usage by at least 4 (potentially much more if it is using floats/doubles and your data is 8 or 16 bit integers). Another problem is that it interpolates when the screen pixels and image pixels don't match up (which is most of the time). This is really nice when you've got small images you're scaling up, but quite a performance drag for larger images.

I ended up coding up my own, wxpython based, viewer which downsamples at low magnification and only pulls out the currently visible ROI at high mag. Only this visible region is then colourmapped (at most the window size - so around 1k by 1k pixels if you've got the window maximised). This makes a huge difference to memory consumption, and performance. There's no provision for plotting axes or other stuff over the image though. My viewer is designed for 3D images with multiple colour channels (microscopy data sets), but will handle 2D images fine. Unfortunately it's currently got a fair bit of application dependent cruft/dependencies. I've been meaning to strip these out so it can be used standalone for a while, so if you don't find an alternative viewer, drop me a line and I'll see if I can get it into some sort of shape.

cheers,
David