[SciPy-User] curve_fit missing from scipy.optimize

Benedikt Riedel briedel at wisc.edu
Fri Jul 16 09:22:51 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 01:10, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 11:52 PM, Benedikt Riedel <briedel at wisc.edu>wrote:
>
>> Hey,
>>
>> It is Ubuntu 10.04 on an AMD-64 from the alternative install CD. I first
>> installed
>>

> Same here except AMD Phenom.
>
>> build-essential gfortran libatlas-sse2-dev
>>

> Special SSE2 packages are a 32 bit thing, are you running the 32 bit
> version of Ubuntu?

Running a 64-bit version

>  python-all-dev ipython
>> subversion
>>
>> via apt-get. Then I installed nose, numpy and finally scipy using the
>> package from the website
>>

> Usually I apt-get numpy and scipy for the dependencies, then install from
> svn. If you do install from source in addition to the ubuntu packages you
> might want to modify the path so the proper package is used. I use
>
> $charris at ubuntu ~$ cat ~/.local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/install.pth
> /usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages
>
> Although I suspect /usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages would work as
> well.

I tried the apt-get path but it tells me that numpy and scipy is installed
therefore I cant reinstall it.

I dont seem to have /usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages but instead only
have a /usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages.

I checked out the minpack.py in the dist-packages folder
(/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages) and found that it did have a
reference to curve_fit, but when I checked /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages
and the minpack.py did not have a reference to curve_fit.

http://python-nose.googlecode.com/files

>> http://superb-east.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/numpy
>> http://voxel.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/scipy/
>>
>>  When I first installed it. Nose and numpy went through fine, but scipy
>> installation had some g++ problems, so I had to install a new g++. I tried
>> it out and optimize was screwed.
>>
>> When that did not work, I installed 0.7.0 via the Ubuntu software center.
>> After that optimize worked, but curve_fit was gone. So back to 0.7.2 I went
>> to and optimize now worked, but curve_fit still did not.
>>

> Chuck

Cheers,

Ben