[SciPy-User] scalars vs array of length 1

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Thu Jul 8 17:44:58 EDT 2010

Victor Eijkhout wrote:
> That's what it looks like to me. I'm not sure that I like the fact that a vector is a 2d matrix.

One of the reasons np.matrix hasn't really caught on -- I think it needs
a more complete implementation (row and column vectors) to really be
useful, but then I don't want it anyway.

(when I used MATLAB, I had to write ".*" all the time, it was really
annpying, far less annoying that writing np.dot(x,y) once in a while)

If you want to write some code, search this list (and the wiki for
discussions, many of the issues have been hashed out, but so far no one
wants it bad enough to write the code.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov