[SciPy-User] ifft on images, symmetry artifacts?

Jochen Schroeder cycomanic at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 17:54:09 EST 2010

On 01/11/10 16:18, Joe Barfett wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm using scipy (numpy.fft.fft2) to transform an image into the frequency
> domain. Then by using numpy.fft.ifft2 to transform the same image back into the
> spatial domain, I find that I get symmetry in the image around a reflection
> line (and not the original image).

I'm struggling a bit to understand what exactly you're doing. In general you
have to be careful when you plot your resulting function, i.e. do you want to
plot the real part or the absolute value of the image?  Anyway can you maybe
post your code and the image you're converting?

can sometimes lead to weird symmetry artifacts, e.g if you