[SciPy-User] frequency components of a signal buried in a noisy time domain signal

Ivo Maljevic ivo.maljevic at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 15:56:29 EST 2010

Nils,
Yes, FFT can be used to visualize the frequency content of a signal buried
in the noise, especially if it is is narrowband,
even though more advanced spectral analysis is required for advanced
applications.

I cannot help you with non-uniformly spaced samples (some sort of
interpolation comes to mind), but next power of 2 should be trivial. Without
checking for the argument type, you can implement the function like this:

def nextpow2(n):
    m_f = np.log2(n)
    m_i = np.ceil(m_f)
    return 2**m_i