[SciPy-User] TimeSeries and Milliseconds for aircraft data

Ariel Rokem arokem at berkeley.edu
Wed Feb 24 12:36:24 EST 2010

Hi Gokhan - easy - we are not dealing with the measurement part at all, only
with the analysis of data that has already been measured, so if you don't
think a pico-second representation is appropriate for your data (and it
probably is appropriate for very few kinds of data...), then use the right
temporal resolution for your data.

Best - Ariel

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 9:10 AM, Gökhan Sever <gokhansever at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 12:32 AM, Ariel Rokem <arokem at berkeley.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Gokhan is referring to this:
>>
>> http://nipy.sourceforge.net/nitime/
>>
>> For an exposition, see our Scipy conference proceedings paper (a pdf of
>> which can be found here:
>> http://argentum.ucbso.berkeley.edu/papers/Rokem2009Nitime.pdf).
>>
>> We are still working on it. The intention of the library is to support
>> analysis of data from neuroscience experiments, because we are
>> neuroscientists, but so far, I don't think that we have made any design
>> decisions that would preclude other scientists from using our time-series
>> objects. In fact, the time-series objects we have designed support temporal
>> resolutions as fast as picoseconds (the representation of time is done in
>> int64, in order to avoid float-precision issues). It is still under
>> development and we have yet to make a release of this, but the code (in
>> development) is already available on github and the tests therein can direct
>> you on the possible usage:
>>
>> http://github.com/fperez/nitime
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Ariel
>>

> Hi Ariel,
>
> What kind of interface do you use to measure pico-second resolutions? Are
> you talking measurements from only one instrument at a time?
>
> In our work even at 1 Hz levels we encounter issues like time-syncing
> different measurements since we interface many different instruments with
> one main data acquisition unit. This is mainly due to one instrument sits
> under the far edge of a wing the other one is inside the cabin sampling air
> from outside. It is usually a good idea to sample fastest the system and
> probes permits, in the end they would be easily averaged to a lower
> acceptable resolution range.
>
> Your job should be very hard indeed if you are dealing with a couple
> different instruments at that high measurement rates.
>

> --
> Gökhan

Ariel Rokem
Helen Wills Neuroscience Institute