[SciPy-User] Suggest moving curve_fit from minpack to top level

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 09:48:31 EST 2010

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 9:31 AM, Ralf Gommers
<ralf.gommers at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:18 PM, <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 9:07 AM, Pim Schellart <p.schellart at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Curve fitting is one of the most important tasks in scientific
>> > analysis and most people starting with scipy struggle to find this
>> > (undocumented) function
>>
>> curve_fit will hopefully sufficiently documented and included in the
>> docs when it is included in a release of scipy.
>>
> Looks pretty well documented to me:
> http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/generated/scipy.optimize.curve_fit.html
> It may be helpful though if this function is pointed out in a tutorial (not
> sure if that's the case or not).

Thanks, my docs are too old and I didn't know it's already included in
the html. I checked and it is not mentioned in the optimize tutorial.

curve_fit doesn't really fit into scipy.optimize next to all the low
level optimizers.

Given the recent discussion, I think it would fit better in
scipy.interpolate which could be extended to interpolate and fitting
to noisy data, e.g. rbf, least squares splines.

Is it too late to move it?

Josef