[SciPy-User] scipy.interpolate.rbf sensitive to input noise ?

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 12:27:42 EST 2010

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 11:45 AM,  <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 11:14 AM, denis <denis-bz-gg at t-online.de> wrote:

>>> It's not a hack it's a requirement, ill-posed inverse problems need
>>
>> OK, I must be wrong; but (sorry, I'm ignorant) how can (A - smooth)
>> penalize ?
>> For gauss the eigenvalues are >= 0, many 0, so we're shifting them
>> negative ??
>> Or is it a simple sign error, A + smooth ?
>
> ouch, standard Ridge is A + smooth * identity_matrix to make it
> positive definite.
>
> I don't know why there is a minus. When I checked the eigenvalues, I
> found it strange that there were some large *negative* eigenvalues of
> A, but I didn't have time to figure this out.
> Generically, A - smooth*eye would still make it invertible, although
> not positive definite
>
> I haven't looked at the sign convention in rbf, but if you figure out
> what's going on, I'm very interested in an answer.
>
> I just briefly ran an example with a negative smooth (-0.5 versus
> 0.5), rbf with gauss seems better, but multiquadric seems worse. If
> smooth is small 1e-6, then there is not much difference.
>
> Even with negative smooth, all except for gauss still have negative
> eigenvalues. I have no idea, I only looked at the theory for gaussian
> process and don't know how the other ones differ.

My intuition for gaussan might not be correct for the other rbfs,
gauss is decreasing in distance, all others are increasing in distance

>>> for func in Rbfuncs: print func, Rbf( x, y, function=func ,smooth=smooth)._function(np.arange(5))

gaussian [ 1.      0.9272  0.739   0.5063  0.2982]
linear [0 1 2 3 4]
thin-plate [  0.       0.       2.7726   9.8875  22.1807]
multiquadric [ 1.      1.0371  1.1413  1.2964  1.4866]
quintic [   0    1   32  243 1024]
cubic [ 0  1  8 27 64]

and the distance matrix itself has negative eigenvalues

Josef