[SciPy-User] [ANN] scikit.statsmodels 0.2.0 release

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Fri Feb 19 11:29:52 EST 2010

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 09:42:14AM -0600, Bruce Southey wrote:
> I really do think that the scikits learn and statsmodels must talk
> together now that learn has had a release as well ( I don't recall
> seeing it mentioned hint hint!).

That's a good point. In the long run, I think I would like statsmodels to
be a dependency of scikit learn, because I hate reimplementing stuff.

The difference that I see between scikit.learn and statsmodels is that we
have C code[*], and we will most probably end up with C++ code.

Lets say that the focus between scikit.learn and statsmodel is most
probably going to be slightly different.

> What would be nice is the acceptance of input data types between learn
> and statsmodels especially for things like logistic regression. While I
> understand the need for duplicate functions, it may be desirable share
> at least code since both code bases are still relatively 'new'.

Well, as far as I am concerned, data types are numpy arrays. I am weary
of implmenting higher level abstractions. Its more the APIs that may
different, and that we will have to keep in sync.

My 2 cents,

Gaël

[*] For instance, we are starting to get really nice libsvm bindings.