[SciPy-User] creating a 3D surface plot from collected data

Joe Kington jkington at wisc.edu
Tue Feb 16 09:23:54 EST 2010

No worries about the bottom post. I actually think I'm breaking protocol by
top-posting, but I use gmail, and it's just more natural to top-post.

Anyway, I think your problem is coming from the fact that you're working
with an isosurface that fully encloses a volume. I assumed that you had
scattered data points (say, elevation measurements) that you needed to
interpolate between.

The interpolation example I posted implicitly assumes that z = f(x,y). In
other words, that there is only one z value for any given x and y.  If
you're working with a 3D kidney-shape, this is clearly not the case.

Therefore, you're getting a singluar matrix when you try to interpolate
(more than one value of z for identical rows of x and y in the matrix).

The good news is that this may make the problem much simpler. (Your data is
already in some sort of triangle-strip format if it's been exported from an
imaging program. No need to interpolate.)

What happens when you just do:

fig = plt.figure()
ax = Axes3D(fig)
ax.plot_surface(x,y,z)
plt.show()

Where x,y,z are your raw data?  There's a reasonable chance that the program
you used to export the x,y,z isosurface left the verticies in the order that
plot_surface expects them in...

On a side note, you might also look into Mayavi's mlab module for 3D
plotting<http://code.enthought.com/projects/mayavi/docs/development/html/mayavi/mlab.html>.
I prefer it to matplotlib's native 3D plotting.
If you have it installed, you'd just do:

from enthought.mayavi import mlab
s = mlab.mesh(x, y, z)
mlab.show()

Hope that helps some,