[SciPy-User] [ANN] pyfftw-0.2 released

Jochen Schroeder cycomanic at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 05:20:10 EST 2010

On 02/15/10 10:35, Sebastian Haase wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 5:03 AM, Jochen Schroeder <cycomanic at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm pleased to announce version 0.2 of pyfftw, a python module providing access
> > to the FFTW3 library.
> >
> > New features:
> >
> > - pyfftw can now create advanced plans (needs testing)
> > - provide location of fftw libraries at runtime with an environment variable
> > - better detection of fftw location at install time
> >
> > Note:
> > Pyfftw moved to launchpad, new url is http://launchpad.net/pyfftw.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Jochen
> >
> Hi Jochen,
> this is great news and I'm eager to try it out.
>
> I have a few questions:
> 1.) Do you support both single-threaded and multi-threaded ffts in one
> installation, or would it work (only) with the kind of fft library
> pyfftw finds at installation time ?
Single and multi-threaded ffts are supported. Currently pyfftw assumes that
the single- and multithreaded libraries are in the same directory (on windows
it's actually the same file). If it can't find the threaded library at runtime
threaded mode just does not work.

> 2.) I would like to incorporate pyfftw into my image analysis package
> (Priithon). For that I provide binary packages for Linux 32bit + 64
> bit + windows + Mac-OSX. The question now is, if I could share the
> same pyfftw files - as generated by "python setup.py install" on one
> system - between those systems ?  I could see this working because you
> are using ctypes. On the other hand, the README file talks about many
> things that are done at installation time.
> It even says, that the FFTW_PATH environment variable is overwritten
> if the situation at installation time would somehow compete with it.

FFTW_PATH at runtime always overrides the installtime location, maybe I need to
make this clearer in the README. However, this
probably does not really help your case. The problem is that it's not really
simple to detect the fftw library with ctypes in a cross-platform way.
Especially if fftw is not installed in a system directory (which somehow seems
to be the norm on Windows). I'm still not entirely sure that the way I'm doing
things currently is the best way, so I'm always open to suggestions. I'll
think about if there's a better way of doing this

Cheers
Jochen