[SciPy-User] SciPy-User Digest, Vol 78, Issue 19

Nasser Mohieddin Abukhdeir nasser at udel.edu
Wed Feb 10 10:58:02 EST 2010

Hello Mark:
    I am quite new to Python and Scipy, but I have some experience with
SciPy's ODE functionality and it has been comparable to compiled code,
depending on my implementation of the integrand. There are a few
important parameters for the integrator that you should take into
account in order to assure a fair comparison. Based upon odeint's
default values, you should confirm that the relative and absolute error
tolerances are the same for both computations. Something else that is
important is the integration scheme, it looks like both methods use
LSODA, so it should be an even comparison. Can you rerun both
simulations and check the number of time steps and function evaluations
from each implementation?

Nasser Mohieddin Abukhdeir
Postdoctoral Fellow (Vlachos Research Group)
University of Delaware - Department of Chemical Engineering
(Personal Web Page) http://udel.edu/~nasser/
(Group Web Page)    http://www.dion.che.udel.edu/