[SciPy-User] lsoda vs. Coulomb friction

Ryan Krauss ryanlists at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 09:33:26 EST 2010

Thanks for all the excellent and thoughtful responses.  I kind of
expected Warren to yell at me to stop using smooth solvers on
discontinuous systems and leave it at that.  Your responses not only
give me somethings to try, but make me feel like my question really
was a good one.

For now, I am basically following Anne's first suggestion:

* Declare that when the discontinuity becomes important, the Coulomb
friction model becomes too crude an approximation, and stop.
(Obviously if the results agree with experiment this is unnecessary.)

But I can only get away with this because the input stops or goes very
near zero at the end of the test where the velocity approaches zero.
I have rationalized that because there is no spring force in my model,
when the external input force is zero and the velocity gets small
enough, the mass basically skids to a stop because of friction and
there is nothing to make it start moving the other direction.

I will run some more experiments (probably early next week) with near
zero velocity and see if that helps me refine the model.  If nothing
else, it should give me enough data to compare some of your
suggestions.

Thanks again.  This is very helpful.

Ryan