[SciPy-User] ancova with optimize.curve_fit

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 17:43:16 EST 2010

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 4:51 PM, Peter Tittmann <ptittmann at gmail.com> wrote:
> here is some of the data. Josef, i'm not sure I understand your suggestion.
> dbh is the dependent variable and is id (actually a list). The independent
> variable is height and the categorical variable to test for covariance with
> is plot.
> Maybe I'm confused and am trying to do something that cant be done this
> way...

I don't understand what your getDiam function is supposed to do. In
ancova, indHtPlot is 2d (nobs,2) with variables dbh and plot. getdiam
calculates [a * dbh**b, a * plot**b] a (nobs,2) array, but it should
produce instead a 1d (nobs,) array.
Maybe you want to sum the functions with dbh and plot for each
observation sum([a * dbh**b, a * plot**b], axis=1)

This should solve the curvefit problem, but if plot is categorical,
then this wouldn't be correct since it is just treated as metric
variable. Maybe you want some dummy variables for plot instead. ???

Josef