[SciPy-User] Solving an eigenvalue problem

Vincent De Groof vincentdegroof at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 11:03:09 EDT 2010

Hi,

I have to solve an eigenvalue problem for which I currently use the
scipy.linalg.eig function. My matrix A is squared and symmetric. So far the
problem size was quite limited (10000*10000) so it could find all the
eigenvalues and eigenvectors within a reasonable time frame. However, I'm
now scaling up the problem drastically and my fear is that it will just take
too much time. I'm running a test right now (62000*62000).

However I don't need all the eigenvalues and eigenvectors. Is there an
existing scipy function where I can define the number of eigenvectors I
want? So the output would become e.g. the 250 largest eigenvalues and its
corresponding eigenvectors?

thanks,
Vincent