[SciPy-User] ROI, the sequel

Zachary Pincus zachary.pincus at yale.edu
Tue Aug 3 22:06:48 EDT 2010

Hello,

The task you want to accomplish is called "polygon rasterization", and
I have long looked for a simple python (or better, portable C that I
could use from anywhere) module that does this well. (Ideally with
optional antialiasing.) I really haven't found much... any graphics
toolkit (e.g. for throwing up a GUI) can be convinced to rasterize to
a memory buffer, which can be converted to a numpy array, but it's not
simple or particularly portable. Lately I use OpenGL, but again not
exactly simple.

Perhaps the python bindings for the AGG library would be the best bet,
but this is a pretty simple problem to solve with such a heavyweight
dependency. Does anyone else know of any simple rasterization libs out
there?

Zach