[SciPy-User] Help with fast fourier transform

Jochen Schroeder cycomanic at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 21:00:46 EDT 2010

OK there's a number of things going on. First, fft results in a shifted array
(google for fftshift to find out more). Therefore your result should be:
F=np.fft.fftshift(np.fft.fft(f))

That will centre the result properly. Secondly the width of your resulting
array is a lot smaller than in the desired output (you only cut out the
centre). This is because your stepsize in the stepfunction is too large you
could fix that e.g. by doing f = g(np.arange(0,1000,0.1)). Finally your values
are all positive because you take the absolute value while in the expected result
you do not.

HTH

Jochen