[SciPy-User] Fitting a system of ODEs to data

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 13:13:00 EDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 12:08, C. Campbell<lujitsu at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, both of you. I actually had tried something similar to what you both
> suggested, but it didn't seem like the function was converging to a
> solution, so I (incorrectly!) assumed the problem must be with the ODE
> nature of my system.

It might be, sort of. You will probably have to have a good guess of
the parameters. The functions generated by many ODEs tend to be less
suitable for fitting than other functions of interest. You may
encounter many local optima. It would be worthwhile to do a bit of
brute force searching through your parameter space to get a good
starting point or use a global optimizer.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco