[SciPy-User] Fitting a curve on a log-normal distributed data

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 00:51:19 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 23:44, Gökhan Sever <gokhansever at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a data which represents aerosol size distribution in between 0.1 to
> 3.0 micrometer ranges. I would like extrapolate the lower size down to 10
> nm. The data in this context is log-normally distributed. Therefore I am
> looking a way to fit a log-normal curve onto my data. Could you please give
> me some pointers to solve this problem?

Transform the data y=log(x) then estimate the mean and variance of y.
With the appropriate transformations (which you will have to look up
depending on the convention of the log-normal calculations that you
are using), these are reasonable estimates of the log-normal
distribution for your data.

Or you could just stay in the transformed space.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco