[SciPy-User] For DavidC, relevant to Windoze in general: BLAS/LAPACK installer

Sturla Molden sturla at molden.no
Fri Nov 13 18:06:46 EST 2009

David Goldsmith skrev:
> Hi, David C. (and all).  Searching the archives for "Windows BLAS," I
> found your 2008 post announcing an alpha version of a BLAS/LAPACK
> Windows installer "superpack," but the link therein appears to be dead
> (I get a 404 not found error).

I'll just mention that re-distribution of GotoBLAS is prohibited. So if
SciPy is to provide a BLAS superpack it will have to be ATLAS. That is
difficult as ATLAS requires more tuning parameters than  GotoBLAS+LAPACK.

The performance of Intel's MKL and AMD's ACML is only slightly less than
GotoBLAS. If you cannot build NumPy with GotoBLAS and LAPACK, I suggest
you use MKL or ACML instead.

By the way, it would be better if NumPy and  SciPy had a way of
replacing it's BLAS and LAPACK libraries. For example if they were not
statically linked, as today, they could be a DLL whose path would be
found in a config file.

Sturla