[SciPy-User] For DavidC, relevant to Windoze in general: BLAS/LAPACK installer

David Warde-Farley dwf at cs.toronto.edu
Fri Nov 13 17:08:02 EST 2009

On 13-Nov-09, at 3:23 PM, David Goldsmith wrote:

> (I found an interesting 2008
> paper "Choosing the optimal BLAS and LAPACK library," which has a list
> indicating ATLAS, Goto, and Intel MKL as "better-than-reference"
> tested
> implementations on Intel-based architecture, but in Linux.  Also, it
> indicates that Goto is BLAS-only - is this all I need for a viable
> build of
> scipy from source?)  Thanks!

ATLAS is also "BLAS-only" (i.e. if you download the ATLAS source
tarball and build, all you will get are ATLAS's tuned implementations
of the Basic Linear Algebra Subroutines, LAPACK must be downloaded
separately). LAPACK routines rely on BLAS, The difference is that I
think ATLAS has support for building an (optimized?) LAPACK. I think
it may also do some auto-tuning of LAPACK compiler flags or something.

I'm afraid I have no clue about building on Windows, sorry. If you get
it working, document your steps so we can put it on the website (I'm
pretty sure the version on the wiki/in SVN now are out of date).

David