[SciPy-user] basic usage of fmin_tnc and fmin_l_bfgs_b

physeco andrewenoble at gmail.com
Sun May 31 12:17:41 EDT 2009

I'm new to multidimensional optimization with scipy.  Sorry for asking the
simple question, but I can't figure out the syntax for fmin_tnc and
fmin_l_bfgs_b.  Here's a simple example of the error I'm getting:

Executing:
>def f(x):
	return (x[0]*x[1]-1)**2+1
>g=0.1,0.1
>b=[(-10,10),(-10,10)]
>so.fmin_tnc(f,g,bounds=b)

Leads to the error:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/scipy/optimize/tnc.py in fmin_tnc(func, x0,
fprime, args, approx_grad, bounds, epsilon, scale, offset, messages,
maxCGit, maxfun, eta, stepmx, accuracy, fmin, ftol, xtol, pgtol, rescale)
    244     rc, nf, x = moduleTNC.minimize(func_and_grad, x0, low, up,
scale, offset,
    245             messages, maxCGit, maxfun, eta, stepmx, accuracy,
--> 246             fmin, ftol, xtol, pgtol, rescale)
    247     return array(x), nf, rc
    248

/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/scipy/optimize/tnc.py in func_and_grad(x)
    203         def func_and_grad(x):
    204             x = asarray(x)
--> 205             f, g = func(x, *args)
    206             return f, list(g)
    207     else:

<type 'exceptions.TypeError'>: 'numpy.float64' object is not iterable