[SciPy-user] Constrained least-squares fitting routine?

Adam Ginsburg adam.ginsburg at colorado.edu
Sat May 2 17:39:04 EDT 2009

Thanks for the replies.

Re: Rob - You're right that it's not a simple problem to solve, but
I'm pretty sure other people have solved it and I was hoping for a
solution that was already implemented.  However, your response gives
me some insight into how to deal with the problem.  Thanks.

Re: Alan - That looks potentially very useful, but OpenOpt looks to be
in pretty early stages of development, especially in terms of
documentation.  Is there any chance OpenOpt code will be included in
scipy in the (near) future?

Re: William - Good call on mpfit.py.  Somehow my google searches
completely missed it, but once you pointed it out I realized I already
had the astrolibpy code.  mpfit.py is also at
http://cars9.uchicago.edu/software/python/mpfit.html... and even
though it's not explicitly compatible with numpy, I haven't run into
any problems using that version either.

Thanks all!  I think I have my solution, though I hope mpfit or some
variant will be included in scipy in the future.

Adam