[SciPy-user] Sparse factorisation

Robert Cimrman cimrman3 at ntc.zcu.cz
Fri May 1 05:07:26 EDT 2009

Gael Varoquaux wrote:
> On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 05:08:37PM +0900, David Cournapeau wrote:
>> Gael Varoquaux wrote:

>>> There are some signs of it being depreciated in the source code.
>
>> umfpack is under the GPL. My understanding is that new contributions to
>> umfpack should go to the corresponding scikit.
>
> Right, new versions of UMFPACK are indeed under GPL. I just noticed that.
> Have you tried contacting Tim Davis about that. The web page does suggest
> to contacting him for distributing UMFPACK under a different license. My
> guess is that distirbuting UMFPACK under BSD with scipy would be contrary
> to distributing it under GPL in the main download page, so our chances
> are small.
>
> Now I understand better the switch to SuperLU.

Yes, we have tried to contact Tim Davis (me and Nathan Bell, if I
remeber correctly?), but he refused to provide an exception for scipy.
That is why the umfpack wrappers (written quite a time ago by me) were
changed into the umfpack scikit. Now there is a situation when some
version of the wrappers still survives in scipy proper, while another
version is in the scikit. This is not good, I know, but I have been very
busy recently. But I use the wrappers on a daily basis without problem
myself - if you have problems, open a ticket, please, and notify me.

r.