[SciPy-user] numpy aligned memory

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Sun Mar 8 13:27:55 EDT 2009

Sun, 08 Mar 2009 22:33:32 +0530, Rohit Garg wrote:
> I saw this
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/numpy-discussion@scipy.org/msg04005.html
>
> while googling for numpy memory alignment. I wish to know if anything on
> that account has come to pass yet? On linux 64 bit platform, can I
> assume anything beyond the glibc alignment as of now?

You cannot assume even glibc alignment, unless the array has the ALIGNED
flag set. (This has actually caused a few bugs also in Numpy & Scipy, cf.
eg. #551.) For example unpickling can produce arrays that are not aligned
at itemsize boundaries, if the original array did not have its ALIGNED
flag set.

--
Pauli Virtanen