[SciPy-user] How to use pcolor and scatter plot in one image?

Emmanuelle Gouillart emmanuelle.gouillart at normalesup.org
Mon Jun 1 07:20:21 EDT 2009

	Hi Robert,

>  histo = np.histogram(z.ravel(), bins=r_[Z.ravel(),2*n**2])

>    produeces the following error message:

>  Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "/mnt/VBoxShare/eg.py", line 15, in <module>
>      histo = np.histogram(z.ravel(), bins=r_[Z.ravel(),2*n**2])
>  NameError: name 'r_' is not defined

	As Gaël said, it should be np.r_ instead of r_. It's just that I
executed my code into ipython -pylab that enables the interactive use of
matplotlib, but also loads a lot of pylab and numpy features into the
namespace. Sorry about the typo! You should try to execute the code
again. I used np.r_ to concatenate the array Z.ravel() with 2*n**2 in
order to add the upper_edge of the last bin for the histogram (note: if
you don't use a recent version of numpy, histogram may return an error).

	I read rapidly your code below, here are a few comments:
* I guess one of the problems might be that you're using two different
scales for the data and for your grid. pcolor(density_map) plots the
color levels corresponding to density_map on a y-scale (x-scale) between
0 and max_index_along_first_direction - 1 (that does not correspond to
the values of the data). That may explain why your data and your
density_map do not superpose. You should define X and Y coordinates of
the grid (e.g. using np.mgrid as in my example) and plot pcolor(X, Y,
density_map).
* Rather than grid_x = [ block_x * i for i in range(11) ], use
np.linspace(0, block_x*11, 11, endpoint=False) or np.arange(0, block_x*11, block_x)
* You can avoid easily your for loop using numpy.histogram2d that does
just what you want for putting your points inside the bins of the grid.
Try np.histogram2d(a, b, bins=11, range=[[0, xlim], [0, ylim]]) (check
the documentation first).

Hope this helps,
Emmanuelle

PS: actually this discussion should rather be on the numpy-discussion
list. I would advise you to suscribe to this list and -- if you have
further questions -- post your reply on the numpy-discussion list instead.