[SciPy-User] [SciPy-user] Selection of dominant points

Joe Kington jkington at wisc.edu
Sat Jul 25 03:02:33 EDT 2009

Well, I thought shapely <http://trac.gispython.org/lab/wiki/Shapely> would
have some sort of line-generalization capabilities, but apparently it
doesn't.

You may already be aware of this, but algorithm wise, you're looking for the
Douglas-Peucker
algorithm<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramer-Douglas-Peucker_algorithm>,
or something similar.

If you don't want to mess with implementing it yourself, you might want to
look at grass <http://grass.itc.it/>.  Grass has a
generalize<http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/V.generalize_tutorial>function
that should do what you need, and does have at least some python
bindings.  I've never actually used the python bindings for
grass<http://download.osgeo.org/grass/grass6_progman/pythonlib.html>,
so I can't help you too much there...

Hope that helps, at any rate!
-Joe