[SciPy-user] Misunderstanding scipy.interpolate.interp2d?

Adrian Price-Whelan adrian.prw at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 10:18:31 EDT 2009

Hey all --

Perhaps I am misunderstanding the documentation for the function
scipy.interpolate.interp2d, or maybe I just don't understand the math
of how it works. If it is a true 2-D interpolating function, why would
it take 2 1-dimensional arrays as input? For instance, say I had image
data in a 2-D array that I wanted to shift by some sub-pixel amount,
like 0.3 pixels, to some arbitrary direction. How would I take an
array ( something like [[1,2,3],[4,5,6],[7,8,9]] ) and break this into
2 1-D arrays x and y to use this function to interpolate new values
based on the sub-pixel shift?

Thanks!!
-Adrian