[SciPy-user] SciPy and GUI

Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Sun Jan 25 08:22:48 EST 2009

2009/1/25 Gael Varoquaux <gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org>:
> I would use traits (see
> http://code.enthought.com/projects/traits/documentation.php, and
> http://code.enthought.com/projects/traits/docs/html/tutorials/traits_ui_scientific_app.html
> for documentation and a tutorial)
>
> The pro of traits is that it is really easy to use, and enforces good
> software design.

I can add my voice to Gael's here.  Just last week I advised a
colleague, who wanted to build a GUI to a filter design package, to
consider Traits.  After only one day, he had his whole application
running, and spent the rest of the week tweaking small features to his
liking.  Having that kind of power is hard to imagine!

Whereas widget toolkits provide fundamental building blocks, Traits
provides much more: a well thought-through user-interface framework
that evolved through a company's need to rapidly deploy GUIs for
scientific applications.  I easily put my trust in code that is backed
by the collective experience of so many talented programmers!

Regards
Stéfan