[SciPy-user] matrix inversion time (Python vs MATLAB)

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 18:42:19 EST 2009

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 6:08 PM, Matthieu Brucher
<matthieu.brucher at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So I think that, if you want to link against mkl, then the best would
>> be to make a local copy of the dlls. This seems to be the common
>> policy,  for example, I have more than 10 programs (mostly open
>> source, including numpy/scipy) that all have their own lapack in the
>> local directories.
>
> Contrary to usual programs, Python is scattered in several folders,
> and in the absolute, the dll should be put in the main Python folder
> to be seen by Python at runtime. But then what would you do if other
> modules provide their own MKL dlls?

Currently scipy has duplicates of lapack, blas in different folders,
so having several copies
of another set of dlls wouldn't make much difference. If they are put
in the main python folder, they could be renamed (if that is possible,
since it would be a "private" copy) to lapack_scipy.dll.

But I have no idea what happens when other extensions, e.g. scikits
want to compile against the same libraries and how that can be
supported. But whatever the mechanism, I think numpy/scipy should have
its own copies of the dlls and not rely on a system wide install.

However, for these things, I'm a pure user, who only suffers every
once in a while if programs don't stick to their own territory.

Josef