[SciPy-user] matrix inversion time (Python vs MATLAB)

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 15:58:41 EST 2009

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 4:59 AM, Sturla Molden <sturla at molden.no> wrote:

>> Microsoft real answer to DLL hell is manifest files (address and
>> version of a DLL), but it cannot be applied everywhere :(
>> Does COM handle DLL versions ?
>
> The idea is that a DLL is not just identified by a name, but by a number
> (the CLSID). The CLSID is stored in the registry and is looked up to get
> the fully qualified path of the DLL.

But what happens when you can't write to the registry ? Or is this per user ?

> The rules of COM specified that the
> CLSID should change whenever the version of the DLL changed.
> Unfortunately, developers broke this rule, so DLL hell persisted. But if
> the developer i honest and complies with this, COM does not not produce
> DLL Hell.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms973843.aspx#dplywithnet_sharing

It does not sound like COM is a good idea - according to MSDN's own
word, COM is responsible for DLL Hell. I actually quite like the GAC
principle - I think it would be nice for python itself to have
something similar. But AFAIK, it is not possible to use this for
unmanaged code, without any CLR involvement.

cheers,

David