[SciPy-user] Multiprocessing, GUIs and IPython

Robert Cimrman cimrman3 at ntc.zcu.cz
Thu Jan 8 06:29:03 EST 2009

Gael Varoquaux wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 12:00:03PM -0800, Brian Granger wrote:
>> I see that people are starting to use multiprocessing to
>> parallelize numerical Python code.  I am wondering if we want to
>> allow/recommend using multiprocessing in scipy.
>
> Too late! I use it in almost all code :). OK, none if this is in
> Scipy, but multiprocessing is starting to creep in various places.
> I must admit I would really like to see IPython using
> multiprocessing as a backend for single-computer parallel computing
> (I have 8 cores, so I do a lot of that). I don't know if it is
> compatible with IPython's architecture. Specifically, I would like to
> be able to use the same API than IPython, with a fork-based
> mechanism. I would also like the easy process management.

+1.

With multiprocessing I have been finally able to resolve the problem of
showing and updating matplotlib plots when doing a long computation with
sfepy - the application feeds data to a Log class, that sends them via a
pipe to another process plotting as the data arrive.

To conclude, in my application it plays with a GUI (GTKAgg) well, and I
certainly would use it in relevant algorithms in scipy if someone is
willing to implement it.

r.