[SciPy-user] "clustergrams"/hierarchical clustering heat maps

Zachary Pincus zachary.pincus at yale.edu
Tue Feb 3 09:43:26 EST 2009

Hi David,

I don't know about making heat-maps in Python, but what I recently
used for the task was the combination of "Cluster 3" (an update of
Mike Eisen's original hierarchical-clustering-for-microarrays tool) to
do the clustering, and "Java TreeView" to draw the heatmap/dendrogram.

Cluster 3 is a bit annoying to one used to scripting analyses (lots of
GUI button-pressing), but there's also a python library. Or you could
just scrutinize the output format (it barfs out a few text files) and
use your own clustering tools. TreeView then accepts these text files
and lets you manipulate the heatmap / dendrograms (e.g. flipping nodes
to get visually better results). You can then export to PS or other
formats. (The PS output is pretty clean, so you can edit in
Illustrator or whatnot easily.)

Zach