[SciPy-User] Numpy Building(AMD64)

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 00:57:47 EST 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 10:19 AM, Ewan Maxwell <sungsuha at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I cannot [Build Numpy] which I want for [PyCuda]
>
> I have [Windows 7(x64)] and PSDK 6.1(tried 7, didn't work either)
>    Compilers:
>        VS 2008(Not Express)
>        gfortran(http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortranBinaries;
> http://quatramaran.ens.fr/~coudert/gfortran/gfortran-windows.exe)
>        Python 2.6.4(AMD64)

Note that the gfortran on that page seems to be 32 bits only, so that
cannot work. But even if you use gfortran which targets 64 bits (from
mingw-w64), it will not work anyway, as linking VS 2008 and gfortran
together on 64 bits windows is tricky to say the least.

> What I'm I doing wrong? What can I do better?

Two choices at least:
 - you actually do not need a fortran compiler at all to build numpy
(only needed for scipy)
 - if you still want to compile with fortran, then the only one known
to work at the moment is Ifort from Intel. I recently wrote how to
build numpy with VS 2008 and ifort on 64 bits with numscons on the ML,
look in the archive,

cheers,

David