[SciPy-User] chebfun

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 10:47:59 EST 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 8:05 AM, <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 9:42 AM, denis <denis-bz-py at t-online.de> wrote:
> > Nice links, Josef.
> > Chebfun looks very high quality; do you think there'd be a market
> > for a scipy wrapper ?
>
> Since it is written in matlab, it would be more a candidate for
> translation (and inspiration) than for wrapping. Chuck and Anne might
> provide similar functionality, but I don't know much about it and
> found the webpage especially useful for it's good documentation.

Trefethen is a Chebyshev fanatic, one of the enlightened. I heard him give a
talk at the invitation of a sinc fanatic -- they are related -- and he made
a good case for using functions sampled at the Chebyshev II points for quick
and dirty solutions to boundary value problems. IIRC, the methods didn't
preserve adjointness, which is a bit of a wart since the resulting
eigenfunctions aren't orthogonal, but it looked like good fun. He has some
books out, here is one: http://www.ec-securehost.com/SIAM/SE10.html . No
doubt some of these algorithms could find a place in scipy.

In any case, what Anne and I are looking at isn't as extensive as Chebfun,
Chebfun looks more like a lite replacement for parts of numpy and scipy,
call it chebpy, that combines special functions with zero finding,
differentiation, etc.

Chuck

Being written by mathematicians specialized in this, it looks very
> good. I haven't tried it out yet, because the matlab version on my
> "play" computer is too old, and I don't have a use case for it right
> now.

Chuck