[SciPy-User] [ANN] scikits.statsmodels 0.1.0b1 release

Skipper Seabold jsseabold at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 15:38:55 EDT 2009

Hello all,

As many of you know, Josef and I have been working hard to get a
release ready for general consumption for the models code (now
statsmodels).  Well, we're happy to announce that a (very) beta
release is ready.  Please, read on.

Background
==========

The statsmodels code was started by Jonathan Taylor and was formerly
included as part of scipy.  It was taken up to be tested, corrected, and
extended as part of the Google Summer of Code 2009.

What it is
==========

We are now releasing the efforts of the last few months under the scikits
namespace as scikits.statsmodels.  Statsmodels is a pure python package
that requires numpy and scipy.  It offers a convenient interface for
fitting parameterized statistical models with growing support for
displaying univariate and multivariate summary statistics, regression
summaries, and (postestimation) statistical tests.

Main Feautures
==============

* regression: Generalized least squares (including weighted least squares
    and least squares with autoregressive errors), ordinary least squares.
* glm: Generalized linear models with support for all of the one-parameter
    exponential family distributions.
* rlm: Robust linear models with support for several M-estimators.
* datasets: Datasets to be distributed and used for examples and in
    testing.

There is also a sandbox which contains code for generalized additive models
(untested), mixed effects models, cox proportional hazards model (both are
untested and still dependent on the nipy formula framework), generating
descriptive statistics, and printing table output to ascii, latex, and html.
None of this code is considered "production ready".

Where to get it
===============

Development branches will be on LaunchPad.  This is where to go to get the
most up to date code in the trunk branch.  Experimental code will also
be hosted here in different branches.

<https://code.launchpad.net/statsmodels>

Source download of stable tags will be on SourceForge.

<https://sourceforge.net/projects/statsmodels/>

or

PyPi: <http://pypi.python.org/pypi/scikits.statsmodels/>

License
=======

Simplified BSD

Documentation

The official documentation is hosted on SourceForge.

<http://statsmodels.sourceforge.net/>

The sphinx docs are currently undergoing a lot of work.  They are not yet
comprehensive, but should get you started.

There is some more information on the project blog, which will be updated as we
make progress on the code.

<http://scipystats.blogspot.com>

Discussion and Development