[SciPy-User] Problem with scipy.special.chebyt

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Sun Aug 30 13:55:30 EDT 2009

On 2009-08-30, Ivo Maljevic <ivo.maljevic at gmail.com> wrote:
[clip]
> install with both installations. I don't know why nobody from
> scipy wants to try a fresh install on a virtual machine maybe,
> as I am sure you would be able to see the problem right away. I
> agree that this is most likely not numpy/scipy problem, but it
> would still be helpful for other users out there if somebody
> actually tried this with a clean distro.

Sorry, but I don't have enough time to spend on this at the
moment -- maybe later on. Tracking down this kind of
platform-specific issues often means hours of gruelling work.

Feel free to file a bug ticket to Numpy's Trac so that this won't
be forgotten. Also, I'd suggest letting the Mandriva/Opensuse
people know there may be something wrong in their packages.

> In my previous email I specified that using the eig function
> from scipy.linalg solves the problem, and using the eig from
> numpy.dual brings it back.
[clip]

I mistyped scipy.linalg where I meant numpy.linalg. As David
said, numpy and scipy may possibly use different lower-level
libraries, which explains the difference.

All this seems to point out that something is wrong on Mandriva
and Opensuse with how Numpy links to the underlying lapack
library.

--
Pauli Virtanen