[SciPy-User] <matplotlib.image.AxesImage object at 0x032EDB50>????

Scott Sinclair scott.sinclair.za at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 01:33:07 EDT 2009

> 2009/8/18 questions anon <questions.anon at gmail.com>:
> Following: http://pysclint.sourceforge.net/pyhdf/example.html
>
> I have opened HDF, then opened calibrated data, and then sliced one of the
> bands
>
> B9= [:,9,:]
>
> I would then like to display the image using
>
> from matplotlib.pyplot import imshow
>
> imshow(b9.view())
>

> However any of the dir(b9) functions I try come up with this:
>
> <matplotlib.image.AxesImage object at 0x032EDB50>
>
> What does this mean?

Most of the pyplot functions return some kind of plot object. You
don't have to care too much right now. Basically the call to imshow()
creates the necessary plot object and then you need to call
pyplot.show() to make the plot appear. If your working environment is
set up in a particular way, it may not be necessary to call show(),
which is probably why the example you are following doesn't include a
call to show().

Questions related to plotting with Matplotlib are best asked on the
matplotlib-users mailing list, you can subscribe here
http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=80706

Also have a look at the pyplot tutorial
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/users/pyplot_tutorial.html

Cheers,