[SciPy-User] Ubuntu vs Fedora for scientific work?

alexander baker baker.alexander at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 04:21:33 EDT 2009

Some very interesting points from David, especially the virtual machine
point.

Having a large number of historic scripts, sensitive to library versions,
upgrading major libraries has to be a careful but necessary process,
especially to take advantage of some of the new features like the time
series objects from scikits.

To minimise the impact, vmware on Ubuntu offers an easy way to create any
flavour/type OS. I keep a replica of the parent machine and test upgrades on
the virtual machine ahead of any upgrades to the parent libraries, ironing
out any wrinkles first. Ubuntu and vmware is almost painless, this is a big
plus for me.

Alex Baker

Mobile: 07788 872118
Blog: www.alexfb.com

--
All science is either physics or stamp collecting.