[SciPy-user] Sparse factorisation

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Thu Apr 30 11:54:13 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 03:56:19PM +0200, Gael Varoquaux wrote:
> I have been looking around in the sparse code source, as well as the
> scikits.umfpack code source, and I must admit I am a bit at loss to what
> is the best way to achieve my goals.

I have dug a bit further. It seems that all that needs to be done is
expose the L, U, perm_c and perm_r attributes of the SciPyLUObject (AKA
factored_lu object) returned by splu. Of course this easier said than
done, as exposing these objects requires creating scipy sparse matrices
from the inner SuperLU representation of these objects.

I'd really appreciate if someone (most probably Nathan) could give me a
hand with this. I realise that I am asking people to do my work, and I
know exactly what my reaction is when someone comes around to me with
this request (ie, not happy), but I am not sure I have to time required
to learn the library and the tools to do this myself, and would hate to
have to find an ugly workaround (this does sound like a bad excuse).

:)

Gaël