[SciPy-user] Build error on PPC Mac OS X 10.4

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Sat Apr 18 03:20:29 EDT 2009

Robert Kern wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 11:51, Adam Mercer <ramercer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 21:43, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> We do try to determine if the gfortran is capable of accepting the
>>> -arch flags before using them, but it appears this mechanism is not
>>> the one adding -arch ppc. It must be coming from somewhere else. Are
>>> you using any $LDFLAGS?
>>>
>> No, the only extra environment variables being set are:
>>
>> DEBUG: Environment: MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET='10.4'
>> CCFLAGS='-I/opt/local/include -L/opt/local/lib'
>>

> I'm afraid that I don't know the source of "-arch ppc", then. You may
> want to grep through your installed numpy for "-arch"; it is possible
> that it has been modified.

This may be caused by my recent changes in numpy.distutils (r6793 and
r6801). The logic to detect universal gfortran was broken for some
fortran compilers for quite some time - that's why our 0.7.0 binary is
broken for mac os x.

http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/1067

In theory, it should not add universal flag if gfortran does not handle
it,  but I did not test on fink or macport, so it may be broken.

cheers,

David