[SciPy-user] removal of stats.mean et al breaks untested code

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 16:36:39 EDT 2009

I just found another victim of the removal of stats.mean and stats.var

stats.gaussian_kde doesn't have any tests, and when I tried to rewrite
the option to set the smoothing factor, I found that several methods
are broken that use the removed stats.mean and stats.var.

If the users of scipy have code similar to the one in scipy.stats,
without sufficient test coverage, then fixing all the hidden
(untested) usages of removed functions can be pretty painful and will
take quite a bit of time.

In case that the release cycle of scipy gets shorter, we might want to
consider a longer depreciation period.

Josef