[SciPy-user] [Timeseries] Linux installation error

Pierre GM pgmdevlist at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 21:04:35 EDT 2009

On Apr 2, 2009, at 8:21 PM, Christiaan Putter wrote:

> Ok, just tested the code you sent me and it works just fine  (had to
> kill numpy 1.2 though)

Great !!

> Some simple copy / pastable examples would be great to get new users
> (that's me) going :-)

FYI, you can find some examples of application at http://hydroclimpy.sourceforge.net/
. That's a package of extensions for timeseries focused on
environmental series. That should get you started. Once again, we'll
soon put an Example section online.
For financial applications, check with Matt Knox, the co-author of the
package. I'm the hydrologist of the duo.

> Quick question:
>
> Is there any possibility to use python's decimal data type?  I saw you
> used it in your sql example on the database side, but I'm guessing
> numpy doesn't allow for this?

I don't think that numpy can interact w/ Decimal, but I never actually
tried myself.

> I sometimes have problems with equality
> testing after several divisions / multiplications, so at the moment I
> revert to the "is kind of" instead of the "is equal to" approach of
> comparison...

You can use assert_almost_equal from the testing modules.

>  I'll test h5py
> some time next week and if it performs better (which they claim on
> their site :-) I'll see if I can cook something up similar to what you
> did for integrating timeseries and pytables.  I'll send it along to
> you once it's usable.

Please do, it's always useful indeed.